rede ex aequo

Olá Visitante21.ago.2019, 12:22:45

Autor Tópico: Don't speak Portuguese?... Here's Your Topic...  (Lida 38927 vezes)

Don't speak Portuguese?... Here's Your Topic...

Offline Arms

• Membro Vintage
  • Género: Masculino
    • Reflection

Com tanta lingua Inglesa falada nos ultimos tempos,um dia destes deixo de falar Português  :P

Not sure what you just said.  Is that Portuguese?  What does it mean?

Translation: With so many English being spoken these days, one day I'll stop speaking Portuguese!

Yes, that's Portuguese!
    Se dependes unicamente dos outros para seres feliz prepara-te para ficares desiludido.
    Instead of telling people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised.

plan b

• Visitante

Com tanta lingua Inglesa falada nos ultimos tempos,um dia destes deixo de falar Português  :P

Not sure what you just said.  Is that Portuguese?  What does it mean?

With so much English spoken lately, one day I won't speak Portuguese. (or something similar)

Nothing really relevant, you see.

Offline SapientiaeOpium

• Membro Sénior
      • Nosce te ipsum...
      So. What do you know about Portugal?
        Não há necessidade de grelhas, o inferno são os outros!

Jean-Paul Sartre

mutters

• Visitante

I know that Madeira is famous for its wine and that Pirates back in the Pirate days used to use the island as a rest area for drinking the wine.  I read it..........in a book.

Offline SapientiaeOpium

• Membro Sénior
          • Nosce te ipsum...
          That's true and it also has a boat which drives people in a trip to see the wonderful areas where they and other peoples used to stop on the company of a great glass of their pure wine (try to check it out searching for Rob Wijntje and Santa Maria).
          Actually is quite good to think about that island and its history: Two navigators, João Gonçalves Zarco e Tristão Vaz Teixeira, by luck went through a different route and due to a bad weather they sighted the island we nowadays call Porto Santo. So their captain in 1419, when he got the news, just gave orders to explore all that area. All these years later it seems almost like it was yesterday as it is one of the most wonderful places in Portugal.

Jean-Paul Sartre

Offline Arms

• Membro Vintage
              • Reflection

I know that Madeira is famous for its wine and that Pirates back in the Pirate days used to use the island as a rest area for drinking the wine.  I read it..........in a book.

Not just Madeira but Azores was also used as rest areas by pirates. In Azores they have the account that Anne Bonny, Henry Morgan. And, according to some legends, one of Portugal's most famous pirate was born in Azores.

Se dependes unicamente dos outros para seres feliz prepara-te para ficares desiludido.
              Instead of telling people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised.

Offline SapientiaeOpium

• Membro Sénior
              • Nosce te ipsum...
              That's right. Already not to mention that both are pretty amazing!

Jean-Paul Sartre

mutters

• Visitante

Not just Madeira but Azores was also used as rest areas by pirates. In Azores they have the account that Anne Bonny, Henry Morgan. And, according to some legends, one of Portugal's most famous pirate was born in Azores.

Who is Portugal's most famous pirate? 

Offline Arms

• Membro Vintage
                    • Reflection

Who is Portugal's most famous pirate? 
                  Actually, there were three famous Portuguese pirates. :P But Bartolomeu was the most famous.

Bartolomeu (o Português), Bendito de Souto, Captain Manuel Pardal Rivera.

Offline SapientiaeOpium

• Membro Sénior
                    • Nosce te ipsum...
                    Great Bartolomeu!

Jean-Paul Sartre

mutters

• Visitante
                      Great Bartolomeu!

Cool.  What was Bartolomeu famous for as a pirate?  When did he live?  What were some of his pirate-life deeds?

Offline Arms

• Membro Vintage
                          • Reflection
                        Great Bartolomeu!

Cool.  What was Bartolomeu famous for as a pirate?  When did he live?  What were some of his pirate-life deeds?

Bartolomeo Português (16??-16??) was a Portuguese buccaneer who attacked Spanish shipping in the late 1660s; he also established one of the earliest sets of rules popularly known in pirate lore as "the pirates' code", later used by the pirates of the seventeenth century such as John Philips, Edward Low, and Bartholomew Roberts.

Arriving in the Caribbean sometime in the early 1660s, as did many others during the decade, Português operated off Campeche from 1666 to 1669. He later captured a larger Spanish ship with his ship of four guns and a crew of thirty, off Cuba, after two assaults with over half his crew killed or wounded. With a total of 70,000 pieces of eight and a large cargo of cacao beans, Português attempted to sail towards Jamaica; however, due to strong winds, they were unable to return to Port Royal - instead sailing for western Cuba.

As the ship reached Cape San Antonio, they were captured by three Spanish warships who seized their cargo. After a violent storm, Português was forced to sail towards Campeche where he was later recognized and captured by authorities. Held prisoner on a Spanish ship, he attempted to escape by stabbing the sentry with a stolen knife, and because he supposedly could not swim, he used wine jars as floaters to swim to shore.

Traveling through over 120 miles of jungle, Português arrived at El Golfo Triste in eastern Yucatan and found a ship to take him back to Port Royal. Returning to Campeche with 20 men, Português captured the ship in which he had been held prisoner and sailed off with a valuable amount of cargo. The ship soon ran aground near Isle of Pines off the southern coast of Cuba, losing the entire cargo. With his remaining crew, Português returned to Port Royal before setting out once again. However, nothing more is recorded of Português after this, as Alexander Exquemelin wrote in Buccaneers of America, he “made many violent attacks on the Spaniards without gaining much profit from marauding, for I saw him dying in the greatest wretchedness in the world.”

- by Wikipedia

Offline MeninO do MaR

• Associad@
                          • Membro Elite
                          • where the hell is my chiffon?
                            • ex aequo aveiro
                          I feel so tired…
                          I’m tired of waking up everyday and facing my empty world, wishing never had waked up.
                          I’m so tired of being lonely, having no one to share my life, tired of spending my days all by myself, of going out and come back to an empty house, to an empty bed, having no one to talk to, of being frustrated, tired of loving and not being loved back.
                          I’m tired of wasting my youth and watch it fade away, tired of seeing the years gone by and have nothing accomplished, of seeing no future and being trapped and ashamed of the past.
                          I’m tired of this stupid undeveloped third world country that as nothing to offer me, tired of attempts to stupefied me on a daily bases.
                          I’m tired of being surrounded by shallow, selfish empty people that don’t give a f*** about me and about my feelings, tired of having no true friends, of counting only with myself, tired of ignorant people trying to insult my intelligence.
                          I'm tired of fighting alone against the world, against the status, against myself, against my life, against the alternative reality I created and live on.
                          I’m tired of my mind, of my body, of myself, of my reality, of my empty life, of who I became, of feeling sorry for myself.
                          I’m so tired that I just want to lay down and sleep endlessly…
                            Estava num daqueles dias em que necessitava do sabor a mudança. Há que saber a definição de aproveitar, saborear e, sobretudo, viver. "Luta por uma vida. Luta por seres feliz. Não se muda do dia para a noite, mas muda-se de dia para dia." Sou o Raimundo-mau-feitio e o meu segredo... é ser assim!

mutters

• Visitante
                            I feel so tired…
                            I’m tired of waking up everyday and facing my empty world, wishing never had waked up.
                            I’m so tired of being lonely, having no one to share my life, tired of spending my days all by myself, of going out and come back to an empty house, to an empty bed, having no one to talk to, of being frustrated, tired of loving and not being loved back.
                            I’m tired of wasting my youth and watch it fade away, tired of seeing the years gone by and have nothing accomplished, of seeing no future and being trapped and ashamed of the past.
                            I’m tired of this stupid undeveloped third world country that as nothing to offer me, tired of attempts to stupefied me on a daily bases.
                            I’m tired of being surrounded by shallow, selfish empty people that don’t give a f*** about me and about my feelings, tired of having no true friends, of counting only with myself, tired of ignorant people trying to insult my intelligence.
                            I'm tired of fighting alone against the world, against the status, against myself, against my life, against the alternative reality I created and live on.
                            I’m tired of my mind, of my body, of myself, of my reality, of my empty life, of who I became, of feeling sorry for myself.
                            I’m so tired that I just want to lay down and sleep endlessly…

You're never alone if you believe in yourself.  Some people that are in relationships or married even feel alone.  What's important is that you remember who you are and don't let anybody change that.  No matter what.

Offline Sakura

• Associad@ Honorári@
                              • Membro Elite
                              • Género: Feminino
                              • "Nobody sits in my chair."
                                • SNAFU
                              You should come and visit Portugal one of these days. I'm pretty sure that you would enjoy it :)
                              The only country where I've been besides Portugal is Spain so probably I'm not the best person to advise a country to visit but one thing is for sure.. Portugal is a very beautiful country and in this case size doesn't really matter :D
                                "I always felt there were two kinds of people: wolves and sheep - those who kill and those who get killed."

mutters

• Visitante
                                You should come and visit Portugal one of these days. I'm pretty sure that you would enjoy it :)
                                The only country where I've been besides Portugal is Spain so probably I'm not the best person to advise a country to visit but one thing is for sure.. Portugal is a very beautiful country and in this case size doesn't really matter :D

Yes yes I know for sure that Portugal is beautiful.  Perhaps someday. 

Maybe it would be fun for each person that reads this to list the city they live in and then describe one thing that makes their city famous, etc.

Offline blueboy

• Associad@
                                  • Membro Vintage
                                  • Smile!
                                  I live in a area outside Lisbon called Sintra. It's a very nice place, fill with gardens, castles, palaces and other monuments. The most famous palace, the "Palácio da Pena" it's in the top of a mountain, so, the view it´s fantastic and we can see almost the entire Lisbon an Sintra region.

There are other palaces as the "Palácio Nacional de Queluz", a very important place, it was the Kings house when they were tired of Lisbon noise and people. It haves a beautiful garden, in classic style, with bushes labyrinths and all.

In the middle of the mountains there are other impressive houses and palaces, such as Regaleira, Seteais and Monserrate. Monserrate has also the second most beautiful romantic garden in Sintra (in my opinion, the first one is Pena's garden)

But of course normal people like me don't live in castles and palaces, Sintra is also the area with the most population density in Europe, my town, Algueirão - Mem Martins it's Portugal and Europe most populated area. There are lots of ugly buildings, streets, polution and that. But we are only 10 minutes away from the beautiful nature that resists in the mountains.

(Sorry for my English, I'm not a very good English writer)

Ainulindalë

Offline Valmont

• Membro Elite
                                    • Dur d'être une poufiasse snob sans pognon.
                                    euh... En ce qui concerne le Français, personne n'en parle?  ???

Offline Arms

• Membro Vintage
                                      • Reflection
                                    Yes yes I know for sure that Portugal is beautiful.  Perhaps someday. 
                                    Maybe it would be fun for each person that reads this to list the city they live in and then describe one thing that makes their city famous, etc.

Now that's an idea. OK! I've lived in several cities, so I'll list them all. ;D

Torres Novas (Translation: New Towers)

Torres Novas is a city in the center of the Portugal. http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagem:LocalTorresNovas.svg To view it's location.

The council of Torres Novas dates from the beginning of the Portuguese nationality. It was conquered from the Muslims by Dom Afonso Henriques in 1148 receiving it's foral (document stating the condition of a place into a city - or something like that) in 1190, by Dom Sancho 1st. Because of it's location. the city suffered many attacks in it's early years resulting in the destruction of some of it's castle's towers. After several attacks the towers were finally rebuild - hence the name of the city.

Historical locations:

The Castle of Torres Novas - located on top of a hill that dominates the city.

Praça 5 de Outubro (5th of October Square) - Located in front of the castle hill's base.

Grutas de Lapas (Caves of Lapas) - Actually they are catacombs that suposinglly had a secret passage to the castle, about 2kms away. But it's believed to be fictional since there is no indication in the caves or at the castle that they were ever connected.

Vila Cardílio - Ruins of a roman village. Almost completely destroyed.

The castle's gardens - located inside the castle.
                                    The Garden of Roses - Located on one of the castle's sides, in front of the castle's hill.
                                    -------------------------

There you go. The city I grew up in. I'll talk about the other cities on my next posts. ;)

Offline MeninO do MaR

• Associad@
                                      • Membro Elite
                                      • where the hell is my chiffon?
                                        • ex aequo aveiro
                                      Sometimes I think this is as good as it gets, I feel like I’m in one of those moments in life u need to clean the attick, clean the ideas, decide how to act towards the others according to what I feel, decide the course of my life.
                                      When all the people around u just disappoint u and u realize that the people u have to deal with every day just wanna screw u and don’t give a shit about u and don’t trust u for anything. When u get a moment of lucidity in the insanity of what u feel and realize that the person u love really don’t give a f*** about u, just couldn’t care less about u and about what u feel and u really don’t mean anything to him, and don’t deserve what u feel for him. When u call someone from the past that u love and mean a lot to u and u realize that after all u don’t mean anything to them and all we lived didn’t meant anything. When u realize u are never gonna find someone normal, and mentally resolved, with whom u could have a healthy relationship, or just someone who will love u unconditionally. I guess some people’s destiny is to stay alone and never find a true love.
                                      By coincidence I’ve been founding out about persons that pass through my life that followed their dreams and succeeded, I always feel happy for them but can’t stop wondering wishing I could have followed mines, I wish I had the same opportunities, and that after all this years I’m stuck in the same.
                                      I feel that this is my destiny, that this is as good as it gets, no big changes for the future, no good surprises just disappointments, just me all alone as always, I guess this is my fado, like I said somewhere before I wish I had a f*** key and a Fast Forward key on my keyboard, this keyboard who makes me company and helps me not going insane.
                                        Estava num daqueles dias em que necessitava do sabor a mudança. Há que saber a definição de aproveitar, saborear e, sobretudo, viver. "Luta por uma vida. Luta por seres feliz. Não se muda do dia para a noite, mas muda-se de dia para dia." Sou o Raimundo-mau-feitio e o meu segredo... é ser assim!

Tópicos relacionados

Assunto / Iniciado por Respostas Última mensagem
                                        1145 Respostas
                                        125437 Visualizações
                                        Última mensagem 27 de Agosto de 2015
                                        por Odra
                                        1568 Respostas
                                        158188 Visualizações
                                        Última mensagem 26 de Junho de 2014
                                        por miss_g
                                        37 Respostas
                                        4041 Visualizações
                                        Última mensagem 25 de Julho de 2014
                                        por WildSushi